Job Title: Design Engineer
FLSA Status: Exempt
- Perform iterative existing product design changes based on customer feedback, requests and performance analysis.
- Design new products serving new and existing markets and applications.
- Review existing parts and assembly drawings and make required revisions and optimizations.
- Build 3-D models and perform Finite Elements Analysis (FEA) to ensure optimal components and assembled product performance.
- Work closely with machine shop and external vendors on creating new product prototypes.
- Assist machine shop if necessary in creating manufacturing processes, inspection gauges, and designing machining fixtures.
Job Competencies/Success Factors
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving skills
- Self Motivation
Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSA’s)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Above average skills in algebra, trigonometry, other calculations.
- General working knowledge of material properties, especially metals, machining, casting, forging and fabricating practices.
- Above average CAD skills, including 2-D drafting and 3-D modeling of complex mechanical structures. Solidworks or OnShape experience is a plus.
- In-depth knowledge of GD&T and other drafting and design principles.
- Familiarity with CNC machining is a plus.
- Exposure to Design for Manufacturing is a plus.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Physical Demands: May sit, stand, stoop, bend and walk intermittently during the day. Finger dexterity to operate office equipment is required. May need to lift up to twenty (40) pounds occasionally. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively. A minimum of forty (40) work hours are expected per week during company operating hours. Some travel may be required.
- Work Environment: Work is primarily performed in a general office environment with standard office equipment.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.